Photo Shows Club Member Donncha Cuttriss taking a break during the Trans America Solo Unsupported Cycle Race
A revised set of Club events for 2018 is as follows:
- Turbo Training from Thursday Jan 4th 1900-2030 in the Arts Centre for 10 weeks
- Midleton 200 Audax on Saturday March 10th 2018.
- Earthquake Challenge Team Time Trial on March 11th 2018
- Tuesday April 3rd = Training for Malin to Mizen (M2M) formally commences.
- Wednesday April 4th = Start of Wednesday Evening Cycles which will run until the end of August
- Wednesday April 11th = Predict Your Time (PYT) for 6 weeks initially; now extended until July 11th on a 24K course (starts 19:15)
- Friday April 13th: General Club Meeting
- Tuesday May 8th = Individual Time Trial (20K) in conjunction with Blackwater Triathlon Club
- Saturday May 12th = Stewarding for “Darkness into Light” (Pieta House) at Ballyvolane
- Saturday May 26th = First Aid Training 1200-1800 in the Arts Centre.
- Thursday May 31st new until 12th July, club evening cycles (depart WGH at 19:00). These are in addition to the Wednesday PYT cycles during this timeframe.
- Saturday June 2nd “Hillfest” Duathlon in conjunction with Watergrasshill A.C. and Watergrasshill Community Association.
Hillfest 2018 Duathlon Results from Saturday June 2nd are available at the following link: https://public.tableau.com/profile/hillfest.duathlon#!/vizhome/HillfestDuathlonResults2018/2018Results
Special thanks to John Kennedy for the race timing (see results above) and to John O’Regan for creating a great atmosphere around the Start / Finish and Transition area. Additional thanks to Ger Crowley for piloting the lead motorbike.
Photos of the event (special thanks to Belinda Sullivan) are available at: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2254955464731922.1073741862.1938915673002571&type=3
- Saturday June 2nd to Saturday June 23rd: Trans America Solo Unsupported Race featuring Club member Donncha Cuttriss
- Saturday June 16th. Club Time Trial and Group Cycle for Ring of Kerry to be incorporated into the M2M training plan.
This will feature two teams of six and also a club spin. It is proposed to start in Kenmare to avoid tiredness coming down Moll’s gap.
Estimated 7.5 hours cycling for the group cycle, approx. 5 hours for TTT groups.
- Wednesday July 25-Sunday July 29 = Malin to Mizen Event
Please note this event runs for five days from the morning of Wednesday July 25 to the evening of Sunday July 29
If you wish to be added to the waiting list please advise Donal or Brian.
- Saturday August 11th = Club BBQ in O’Mahony’s Watergrasshill.
- Saturday August 25th onwards Four Person Team representing OTH CC in the Race Around Ireland plus one entrant in the solo race.
- Saturday 8th September = The Rebel Tour
The club are investigating the option of a group entry into the Rebel tour.
- Thursday September 13th : Club General Meeting.
- Sunday September 16th Munster Cyclocross season / league commences.
- Saturday October 20th : Club end of season event.
Dungarvan is proposed as the venue and the event will have different routes to 2017.
- Sunday December 16th: OTH CC Hosting Munster Level Cyclocross Race (More details to follow).
Sportives / Leisure Events in 2018
For club members interested in taking part in Sportives a listing of Sportives per Month is available at the following link which is possibly the most user friendly, but may not list all sportives e.g. the Jagged Edge is not listed
Additional listings of leisure events are available at:
Previous Events (2017 and before)
OTH CC were involved in organisation of the following Duathlon event held on Saturday June 3rd 2017 in conjunction with Watergrasshill Community Association and Watergrasshill Athletics Club.
In 2017 the club members have participated in:
- Slow Bicycle “Race” during the Christmas season.
- Cyclocross Racing in the Munster Area
- Turbo Training from January to March
- The Earthquake Team Time Trial Challenge (EQ17)
- Various A4 Races in the Cork / Kerry / Limerick area
- Predict Your Time on Wednesday Evenings in April and May
- Other Wednesday evening club spins from May to September
- Weekend Away in Glengarriff (see following link for Photos): https://www.facebook.com/pg/OverTheHillCyclingClub/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1434278793284336
- Saturday and Sunday Club Spins throughout the Year.
- “Beast of Bottlehill” Time Trial
- Various Sportives in Munster e.g. Sean Kelly 100Km, 160Km; West Cork Sportive
- The Rebel Tour on Saturday Sept 9th
- End of Season event in Dungarvan on Saturday Oct 14th
- Club AGM on Friday Nov 24th in the First Fruits Arts Centre
- Christmas Cracker Cycle in aid of Marymount on Saturday Dec 2nd
- Christmas Cycle with The Lee Roadies on Saturday Dec 16th
- Fund Raising “Spinathon” on Dec 16th in conjunction with Ross’s Centra Watergrasshill in aid of “Cork Penny Dinners”
- Slow Bicycle “Race” and End of Year Event on Saturday Dec 30th 2017 in the Community Hall.
The Club Facebook Page gives an overview and record of club activities: https://www.facebook.com/OverTheHillCyclingClub
Previous Notable events that club members have completed include:
- Race Around Ireland Four Person Team in 2016
- Race the Rás (2016)
- Race Around Ireland Four Person Team in 2015 (Winners)
- Ring of Kerry Team Time Trial in 2015
- Trans-America 2015 Solo Unsupported (Donncha Cuttriss)
- Race Around Ireland Two Person Team in 2014
- Race Around Ireland Solo entrants (various years)
- Race Across America in 2014 (Team of Four)
- Mizen to Malin ” non-stop” in 23 hours in June 2014
- Race Around Ireland Team Events (2012, 2013)
- Mizen to Malin in 2011
- Multiple Sportives such as Wicklow 200, Rebel Tour, Sean Kelly, Tour de Cure
- IronMan 70.3 and 140.6 Triathlon Events
Many of the events above have been combined with sponsorship efforts for Muscular Dystrophy Ireland and Pieta House.
Links to accounts of some of the events above are as follows:
Race Around Ireland 2013: http://www.overthehillcc.com/rai2013.html
Race Around Ireland 2012: http://www.overthehillcc.com/rai2012.html
Mizen to Malin 2011: http://www.overthehillcc.com/m2m2011.html
Further updates will be made to this page as events are planned or completed.